Friendfield Plantation, one of the most impressive and beautifully landscaped plantations in the lowcountry, was established ca. 1735 by James Withers. Friendfield became the home of the Withers family in 1769. In 1930, the property was purchased by Radcliffe Cheston, Jr., of Philadelphia. He restored the Friendfield house into a handsome, imposing mansion and reassembled its original land holdings of 3,264 acres. Friendfield today consists of six former antebellum rice plantations, 500 acres of former rice fields, over 2,000 acres of pine forest which has been managed as a quail preserve and winter hunting retreat. Friendfield includes a historic slave street and six original slave cabins. It also includes the old slave graveyard next to the Friendfield house, and the Withers Graveyard.